Thursday, March 31, 2011

9 Great Songs from the past 9 Months

I'm back. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy being lazy. Fortunately, this means that I've got some great music to show you, and since I know some of the long posts are hard to get through, I'll whittle it down to the bee's knees of jams. Oh, I've also decided to start rating the music on a scale of 5 stars. I thought it would help everyone choose what to listen to if there are a ton of songs. I also want to say what's up to all the people from South Korea, Russia, Denmark, and the Netherlands who are visiting, it's pretty awesome to see people from around the world checking this out. It would be great if you sent me some songs from other parts of the world, we don't get enough over here. I heard Vietnam had snow for the first time in history, crazy, I guess the world really is ending.

Oh also, on a lighter note, I thought this cartoon was hilarious, I stumbled upon it so I dunno where it's from really.



And now on to the music...

Geographer - Kites 4.5/5

A friend named Rob gave this song to me a few weeks ago and I think I've had it in every playlist I've listened to since then. Expect big things from this San Fran based band in the future.


TV Girl - If You Want It 4.9/5

Might be my favorite song of the year so far, though it would be hard to say for sure. The only reason it's not 5/5 is cause I'm not sure if this song will stand the test of time yet. Actually, I am pretty sure, but I'm gonna wait and see. Either way it's great and I'm gonna be psyched when TV Girl plays in DC. I just hope I don't overplay it and ruin it before they do.


Tyler The Creator (from Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All) - Yonkers 4.75/5

If you like fat beats and vulgar lyrics you will love this group. This song and music video are my vote right now for rap song/video of the year. Really shows what you can do with a camera and a few effects, redic. Incredibly simple and disturbing/strange. It's great. It's not pop. It's rap. Raw filthy rap. They killed it on Jimmy Fallon, check that video out if you want on youtube.


Cassius - I <3 U So 4/5

Just listen to it, it's good. I don't know much about the band. You can read about them in the youtube page if you want, I don't feel like doing that right now. Pretty cool video though.


Foster The People - Helena Beat 4/5

Another band that I feel is going to become big real soon. Their music is just too awesome. They've got a bunch of other good songs too. You should look them up.


King Charles - Love Lust 4/5

Call me sentimental, but I think this song is incredible. I just found it today, and it was so good it convinced me to make this post and share with you all. That's how good it is. It's got one of the best beats I've heard in a while, not as in like dubstep beat, but rather catchy melodic beat. Reminds me a bit of Ed Sharpe, except I think this song is better than anything from their first album. I haven't listened to Alexander yet, but I guess they count as another group.


Amadou & Mariam - Sabali 4/5

A musical duo from Mali, at least I'm pretty sure because they're speaking Bambara. Sabali means patience if you were wondering. This is one of those great foreign songs you find every year. I was actually thinking of doing a foreign songs post later on. If I did, this would be on it.

Cities Aviv - Float On 4/5

This song uses the beat from the Modest Mouse song of the same name, and since that song is one of the best of the past decade, it pretty much can't be a bad song. Cities Aviv verses are solid too.


Kanye West - Young Folks (Another song stolen by Kanye from Peter Bjorn and John) 3.5/5

I don't like Kanye, I can't really say that cause I haven't met him, but I wouldn't ever want to. This song is good, mostly because Kanye rides on the back of the great PB and J beat. But it's worth listening to.




I just realized that this post is really long, but since I can't choose one of these songs to take off it is gonna stay this way. You're welcome.

PS. Tonight caps off the end of 'The Birthday Week Bonanza', Happy Bday Tyler, Nick, And Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment